For the 2020-21 academic year, USC PAM is pleased to offer a FREE virtual program as a substitute for our in-person School Tours. The USC PAM Distance Learning Program is designed to bring the museum’s collection of Asian and Pacific art to students learning at home. Students will explore the diversity of Asian and Pacific cultures and develop critical thinking and analysis skills through looking at and making art. Grade-level appropriate themes will lead students in exploring different cultural artistic practices, making connections between core curricular content, and current issues facing students in order to build deeper empathy and intercultural understanding.
This three (3) part program consists of:
- “Pre-visit” standards-based lesson to be led by the classroom teacher (virtually or in-person)
- Virtual close-looking discussion of select objects led by a specially trained museum docent
- Virtual hands-on artmaking workshop led by a specially trained teaching artist
This program is offered to grades K-12 from Wednesday through Friday at 10:00 am and 11:00 am and uses the Zoom platform.
Themes to select from based on grade level:
- K-2: Animals in Asian and Pacific Art
- 3-5: Nature in Asian and Pacific Art
- 6-8: Exploring the Silk Road
- 9-12: Contemporary Asian Art and Artists’ Response (exploring special exhibition We Are Here: Contemporary Art and Asian Voices in Los Angeles)
Art making workshops use easily accessible materials that students typically have at home, such as paper, pencils, crayons, glue, and recycled magazines/junk mail. They are designed to get students to think creatively, practice a new skill, and further their understanding and appreciation of Asian and Pacific art.
How to Schedule
Close-looking discussions (offered at 10:00am) and artmaking workshops (offered at 11:00am) can be scheduled on separate days. To schedule your virtual visits, please click below to complete the application.
*If the times of the program do not work with your class schedule, please indicate an alternative time in the application and we will get back to you with availability.
For questions, special requests, changes, and cancellations, please contact Janelle Sangalang, School Tours Coordinator, at firstname.lastname@example.org.