The Getty Foundation 2017 Multicultural Undergraduate Internship Program at USC PAM
The Getty Multicultural Undergraduate Internship program aims to increase diversity in and provide support for Los Angeles-area museums and visual arts organizations. The program is intended specifically for outstanding students who are members of groups currently underrepresented in careers related to museums and the visual arts.
Collections Management Internship
The Collections Management Intern will receive training on art handling techniques and skills needed to perform daily tasks in the department related to permanent collection, permanent galleries, temporary exhibitions, incoming and outgoing loans and any ongoing departmental projects.
The Intern will participate in all departmental activities related to the following but not limited to:
– Assist in the re-installation of all permanent galleries, prepare objects for installation, track object locations and provide help to Collections and Curatorial staff.
– Assist in the preparation of a special exhibition opening in late 2017, including obtaining shipping estimates and insurance values for loans, preparing reports and checklists, and additional tasks related to the exhibition.
– Prepare and work on condition report for incoming loans and photo document the loans.
– Work with the Collections staff to receive part of the collection coming back from an offsite storage facility, unpack objects for gallery display, return other objects to storage and update all object movements to the collections database – Mimsy XG.
– Ensure storage system is all cleaned, adjusted and clearly labeled so objects can be returned to storage according to museum procedure.
– Monitor environmental changes in galleries and storage areas with data loggers and generate reports.
– Respond to public inquiries including donation inquiries, collection research and/or rights and reproduction requests, and generate search reports in the CMS.
The internship is a full-time (40 hours/week) position with a total salary of $5,000 for a consecutive ten-week work period beginning no sooner than June 5, 2017 and ending no later than August 25, 2017.
– Be of a group underrepresented in museums and visual arts organizations, including, but not limited to, individuals of African American, Asian, Latino/Hispanic, Native American, or Pacific Islander descent;
– Be currently enrolled undergraduates. Students must have completed at least one semester of college by June 2017. Students graduating in May or June 2017 are also eligible. (Students who are enrolled in a second BA or BS program are not eligible.)
– Reside or attend college in Los Angeles County; and
– Be a United States citizen or permanent resident.
How To Apply
Student must submit a complete application consisting of:
• Letter of interest (entitled Cover Letter_Your Name_Collections Intern) with a description of how the requirements are met, and what the intern hopes to contribute and learn.
• Resume (entitled Resume_Your Name_Collections Intern) and contact information (name/title/phone/email) for 2 references (teacher, professor, former employer, etc.)
To Annie Lee at email@example.com no later than May 5, 2017.